Forsters Tern Courtship Feeding

Forsters Tern Courtship Feeding
The male Forsters Tern offers a fish to his mate

Friday, April 8, 2011

For my mom.

A number of years ago.

There was a Daily News radio show on WOR radio in NYC. They were the editors and others from the Newspaper. They had a talk radio show late in the day.

I used to listen on the way home from work.

One day.

The primary topic was about a Whale that was stranded near Point Barrow, Alaska.

The editors and the newspaper gurus were all decrying how we were spending money and effort to save this Whale.

They decried that this is nature, and this is the way life goes.

So, as I drove home from work, I listened to the callers to the show.

And then.

I hear my mother's voice.

She got up the guts to call the station. To voice her opinion.

They were hard on her.

The ridiculed her.

But what she said echoed in my brain to this day.

She said.

We are the most intelligent species on this planet.

And what we do to save other life forms from disaster.............

Is because we were cast with being stewards of the life on Earth.

Not dominion.

The bible tells us we have dominion over the other creatures on this Earth.

But it was lost in translation.

There is a world of difference.

Dominion is for rulers and Kings.

Stewardship is an obligation to keep the lives of those we cherish as paramount. To keep them well. To help them. To bring them to safety.

She understood this.

The radio personalities denigrated her, as I listened.

But my mom held fast.

She said, we are blessed with the grace of God. We are obligated to reach out an help those less than we.

For in that, we are more Godlike.

God Bless you mom.

You knew. You understood.

And so do I.

4 comments:

  1. Your mom was very wise! She taught you well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Angele.

    That she did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was beautiful, Eric. It takes an enormous amount of courage to stand up when you know that others won't be on your side. The world definitely needs more people like your mother. :)

    Now, let's go get some Pork Roll Sammiches (Elecin)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, sweets. I am so there with a pork roll sammich! LOL. Yeah, I miss my mom. She was something. Someone I treasure. Even after she has passed. Hope you are well. :)

    ReplyDelete