Forsters Tern Courtship Feeding

Forsters Tern Courtship Feeding
The male Forsters Tern offers a fish to his mate

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Of Black Skimmers and Thunderstorms.


After a grueling day at the job from hell, two Summers ago...

I made the 80 mile drive after work to the refuge.

The sun was getting low. The light was wonderful.

I drove down Wildlife drive, to the first gate. And to my surprise, not another soul was there. Nobody but me at this beautiful place.

The wind was cool and the breeze was light...thanks to a thunderstorm that was creeping in from the west.

I shut off my car, and got out.

I stood at the gate....took a deep breath. And just soaked it all in.

The sounds of distant thunder were echoing.

The Black Skimmers were skimming and barking their adorable calls.

And I was alone with them. And all of this. Just me.

It was a magical moment. One I will treasure forever.

I got no good photos. The light was on the wrong side.

But it didn't matter.

It was just me and the splendor of nature.

There is nothing on Earth like this.

I heard the Skimmers call. The thunder rolled. The wind on my face and arms.

Caressing me.

I was home.

No comments:

Post a Comment