Forsters Tern Courtship Feeding

Forsters Tern Courtship Feeding
The male Forsters Tern offers a fish to his mate

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Being human.

I've spent a lot of time recently, reflecting on this. On my life. On the things that have happened to me. The things others have done to wrong me.

The things I have done to wrong others.

What I am starting to see with such great clarity is how flawed we all are.

That to be human means failing. Wanting. Loving. Losing.

That it means sadness and hurt. Joy and pain.

We are at our best when things are at their worst, some of the time.

Other times, when things are at their worst, we fail.

And it is up to us to learn. To strive. To be better versions of ourselves.

I have learned so much in just a few weeks.

I've seen myself for who I am.

I've also seen others for who they are. And some of them have surprised me.

Some are understanding and forgiving.

Others are so caught up with being better than others that they have no capacity to forgive, and hold themselves out as paragons of virtue and of superiority.

And in so doing, the latter deny their humanity.

They have somehow managed to avoid ever facing that they have done wrong. And they will forever be a victim of others. Never having done anything for which they will admit shame or wrongdoing.

And I know without doubt. That nobody has lived that pure a life since Jesus Christ.

Now, I don't believe in organized religion. I don't believe that one way is the only way. But I do believe that Jesus was blessed with the spirit of "God", and that he lived a virtuous life. As an example to all of us as to what is possible for us as human beings.

I also believe that not one other soul who has ever lived has done the same.

More than anything, what Jesus lived was a life of forgiveness towards others. That when people were able to face that they have not lived a pure life, that we should all be willing to accept and forgive that person. Not condone their actions.

Yes, I have done things I regret. Failed in more ways than one. But there comes a time when we have to stop getting on bended knee and allowing others to throw stones at us because we feel we deserve it.

Because those who cast that hatred our way are just obfuscating. They don't want to face their own failings. And when we admit ours, it scares them.

Yes, there are people in this world who have not done what I have.

The flaw in that realization is that they believe themselves to be superior. And that makes them feel good about themselves. They can condemn. They can hold themselves out as better than others. It comforts them to know they didn't do what we did.

And allows them to conveniently forget what they have done. Or to rationalize it as "less".

When we all finally realize that we have done wrong, and that we want to be better, then we can start to see what it means to find "God" in each other, and in the world around us.

Jesus said, "Let those who are without sin cast the first stone".

Nobody better pick up a rock. Because the moment you do, you have just forsaken yourself. And all those who love you.

For being human. As we all are.

6 comments:

  1. I have been following your blog for the past several days since you offered me the link. I have to say I've been disheartened.

    Within this blog, I am seeing exactly the same thing you are condemning. Judgment, unforgiveness, and, at the center of it all, that fact that you are somehow the victim of it all.

    Above I read "And some of them have surprised me" and "Others are so caught up with being better than others that they have no capacity to forgive, and hold themselves out as paragons of virtue and of superiority".

    I know, for me, forgiveness and acceptance takes that horrible four letter word - "time". And some, even when forgiveness is achieved, still consider some things, as it is called on another site, a dealbreaker.

    The revelations a few days ago really surprised me. The accusations that *I* could be pushed to do the same hurt me. Did my comments to you surprise you? Do you believe I feel superior? I can say emphatically I do not...

    That doesn't change the facts, though. *I* was lied to. The one thing stressed on that other site is honesty and transparency in regards to one particular topic. I was given neither of those things.

    I have been the victim of other peoples' bad actions. I will never be the victim of my own bad acts. I have done things in my life I am horribly guilty of and ashamed I ever let myself go there...but I don't expect forgiveness for those things. If someone cuts me out of their lives for it, that is their right...maybe it was a "dealbreaker" for them.

    Maybe that makes me and them *human*, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, your comments to me did not surprise me. Nor did ACCUSE you of anything at all. It is my opinion that anyone can be pushed to a breaking point and that they are capable of acts that they otherwise would not be.

    To you that inconceivable. You stated emphatically that you cannot. That nothing could ever be done to you to make you do anything you didn't want to do. In fact, you don't believe that anyone can be.

    That it is all about choice, and that infers that people can always make rational choices under any circumstance.

    We agree to disagree.

    And it was only one person in particular that was referred to in the blog where I said they held themselves out as a paragon. It was not intended to be a broad brush or a blanket statement. And it was not you I was referring to.

    I did not lie to YOU. I lied to an entire message board full of people and the owners of the site.

    What bothers me about that other board is that it breeds a gang mentality. And, an all or nothing mentality to go with it. Nothing is ever considered. Just the act. Clearly, there are people who are wayward who are way fucking worse than others. But everyone is held to the same level of rebuke.

    I'm sorry. You and I will never see eye to eye on this subject. And that's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To add to my previous response.

    Some people believe that I should be on my knees, with my head hung low.

    See, I've had 5 years to think about all this. And in those 5 years, I have not allowed myself to be defined by one act. Or in all the years that preceded it.

    There are many people who see the good in me, and my good nature, despite what I have admitted. That doesn't mean they gave me a fucking pass. But it also meant that they knew and looked at the whole person. And some of them understand a whole lot more about me than I ever posted on that other site.

    I can ill afford to beat myself up an put a black veil over my head. As someone who has shouldered guilt for many years, the time for me to suffer as a pariah or long over.

    That is why I am more than willing to take people saying "See ya!". If that is their choice.

    This is who I am. I will be optimistic as much as I can, and be the person I am. But I will not grovel or beg, and I will not allow that one act to define me. Ever. Even if other people define me by it. That is up to them. But I won't ever accept that judgment or definition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who were you refering to as holding himself above as paragon? Someone from that board? Well some people say that I do that often. But I am also able to realize my mistakes when the time comes or even immediately. I am very tolerant and try to be open to others, as long as they don't have this certain mentality and ignorance or hate or prejudice based on social cliches and stuff. And yes I also stated that I am often sick of humanity and I believe myself to be above it, but not in a degrading way, although it is easy to fall for that and to feel superior in every way. I don't however, I am just who I am and sometimes I am very impulsive or can feel cold, especially when I am hurt where it hurts most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leo,

    Yes, it was a friend and someone from that board. Someone who evidently and by all accounts has a lot to hide themselves. I have found that the people who run away from friends when disappointed are the ones who either hold themselves out as paragons and have never done anything wrong...or they hold themselves out as paragons and can't face what they have done wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Or they just blame it on their youngness or stupidity at the time and cannot face responsibility. In the end they never accept responsibility and never grow up beyond that.

    ReplyDelete