Forsters Tern Courtship Feeding

Forsters Tern Courtship Feeding
The male Forsters Tern offers a fish to his mate

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Nobody cares about quality. Cheap is all that matters..

That is the conclusion I have come to.

I have spent thousands of hours, many hundreds of days out with my cameras. I have worked hard to improve my craft, and to be able to get amazing and beautiful shots.

I am told by everyone I meet how impressed they are with the work. How I should be on staff at National Geographic. How they just know a book I would do would sell well, and I'd be "famous" someday.

Bullshit.

Let's get real.

Consumers today want junk. They want the pretty painting or photo on the cheap paper. Purchased at Wal Mart for $9.99 in the discount bin. Or at Michael's on one of their racks.

Uninspired, looks just like everything else, poor quality materials.

It's fucking trash, people.

But people love their trash. And why?

Because it is CHEAP. And "pretty" to them.

And it is beyond discouraging.

I already knew to some degree that many people would not be interested in paying $25.00 for a custom, high-end, top quality materials calendar with my photos printed on them.

What I didn't realize is that NOBODY would be interested.

I received the Ducks Unlimited Magazine 2011 calendar in the mail yesterday.

And you know what? If fucking sucks. Most of the photos from members are "blah" at best. Some are horrible. A few are pretty decent. And the paper? Like that of an insert in your Sunday newspaper. With 3 metal staples holding it together. Wow. Awesome! *barf*

I didn't enter their contest in time this year. Now, I am glad I didn't. Because I would hate to be one of the winners and have my shot on that piece of shit.

When I put my name on something, it encompasses all of who I am, to represent my work and my striving for excellence. That I am proud of the work I have accomplished. That it does indeed measure up as world class. I wouldn't publish it otherwise. I only want my best out there. And it better be as good as anything else out there. Or I will work harder to get better shots until it is.

Yes, that's pride. But it's more than that.

It's me. The photographs I take are looking at the world through my eyes. It's intensely personal. It means a lot to me. And I want it to be inspiring and beautiful.

I just can't throw out some run of the mill shot of a Goldfinch or a Cardinal because Hallmark cards demand that those colorful, pretty birds be the ones everyone wants.

If you want to have a photograph where time stands still. Where you can be amazed at what nature can show you. If you want to know what it's like to be there, in some small way, to see those incredible moments....then buy one of my photographs.

If you want something pretty for your walls?

Go to fucking Wal Mart.

1 comment: