Forsters Tern Courtship Feeding

Forsters Tern Courtship Feeding
The male Forsters Tern offers a fish to his mate

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

How Divorce Destroys Your Life Forever

At least in the state of New Jersey. If you are male, and if you were the sole or primary source of income in a long marriage.

I am now 4 years out from when my divorce was final. I detail in the book the circumstances of how the divorce came about (she cheated for the second time, filed a restraining order to get me out of the house and to get leverage, and filed for divorce the same day).

But what I want to really talk about is what it does to you after all is said and done. What it's done to me.

The divorce settlement that was forced on me included lifetime alimony. In the state of NJ, this is still commonplace, and even my attorney said that given my 23 year marriage, with her being at home all that time, any of the judges I would get would award lifetime alimony if it went to trial.

My attorney also advised me that based on what she knew of the judges (and she knew all of them), the amount that would be awarded would be 28-33 percent of my GROSS income, for the rest of my life.

That amounts to half my take home pay.

Forever.

In addition to that, half of all assets, and approximately 40 percent of my pension would go to her.

I still cannot wrap my head around how brutal this is. How grossly unfair. Criminal even.

The piece missing from all this legal bullshit is that the courts do not care about marital conduct.

She decided to leave the marriage. She decided to find another man to be with, while married to me. And I pay for it.

It would be the same settlement if she cheated with the entire NY Giants football team. Or, if I was the one who betrayed her.

Now, if that had been the case (if I were the one who cheated and filed for divorce), I could understand a punitive alimony being awarded.

But all I am here is a victim. One that she would use her attorney, the courts, and other means to utterly pound me into the ground and all but destroy me.

Because of the enormous amount of money I had to pay her every month in alimony, I was forced to continue to try to find jobs that paid the same great salary as the job I had when we divorced. A long career where I had to work my way up over nearly 30 years to reach that salary level. I have no college degree. I'm 52 years old next month. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY wants a man in my position. Too old. No degree. Doesn't matter what experience I have.

I managed to get a good job with a company I had worked with (they were a popular vendor that I spent millions of dollars with in my former role with my long-time employer). I was able to get a nice salary. Mostly because these people all knew me, and it was a small enough company that my reputation and abilities were a clear asset to them. Unfortunately, after a year, they were having financial problems yet again, and I (and a bunch of others) had to be laid off.

It was still virtually impossible during this job to afford my own place (a rented townhouse), pay off bills still owed from the divorce and marital debts, and pay her the outrageous alimony.

Before moving out to my own townhouse, I had spent a year living in my parent's loft bedroom. It took money from my parents to be able to move out and into my own place, even with the new job.

Then I lost that job. I got a couple months notice pay (thank God), and 3 months later, I landed another job at a salary level less than before, but still enough to hopefully try to stay afloat and afford the enormous monthly payments to the ex-wife.

But this time, the job I had to take was the job from hell. It was a 4 hour a day commute, and as it would turn out, it was nothing more than a "body shop". My manager was a complete lunatic. An abusive, ADHD, probably NPD, hyperactive, lying, and incredibly manipulative and abusive man. It was pure hell. Utter living hell.

And I had taken this job solely because I had such a huge alimony obligation.

I would never have looked for a job at this level, or taken this job had I not had to pay that huge alimony support.

And so it goes. Such is the story of my life, post-divorce.

Unable to afford my own place, because no matter how much I make, most of it has to go to the ex-wife.

Right now, having lost that job from hell (and after an EEOC filing by me and a 21 page complaint filed against them), I was fired summarily by them. No reason given.

I live back with my father.

My mother died last year.

It has been one string of horrible losses after another for me. And still I owe her this money. Every month. As it sucks the life from me, and controls my future.

As it is now, I collect unemployment.

I live back in that same loft bedroom I did when I was thrown out of the house by my ex-wife.

And I have nothing.

She gets more than half my unemployment. I can barely pay what little bills I have left. I will never own a home again. I don't even know how I will ever be able to rent someplace, as my credit is ruined, and I am filing for bankruptcy.

The divorce has destroyed my life, and controls so much of my future.

She (the ex) has a job now and has for a couple years. A very low-paying job. So, the alimony can be adjusted down to compensate from her employment and as is permitted by law, since it is a change in circumstances.

But that just means that instead of $3500.00 per month paid to her, I might be able to get down to something like $2000.00 a month, if I ever get another decent job.

And it never ends.

When I retire and give her the couple hundred thousand dollars from MY pension, and if I only work a little to pay bills, I can petition the courts to see if they would lower my obligation or eliminate it. It's not a given, and it's not guaranteed.

Meanwhile, lets compare lives, shall we?

She dates and has boyfriends. She has her own 3 bedroom duplex, with some nice furnishings from the former marital home. She goes out to dinner, has a relationship (and sex of course), and lives in her own place.

I live in a bedroom with my 78 year old father. I am destitute and now unemployed.

No woman on earth is interested in a man like me in these circumstances. I have nothing to offer them. And even if I start working again, I still have very little to offer anyone. God only knows if I could even get a place to rent.

No money to go out anywhere. Not even a cheap dinner date. No privacy. No place of my own. Not a fucking thing.

So, I cannot even afford to go on a date. I can barely afford gasoline for the car.

But nothing on Earth will stop her from getting her money. Even if my dad has to chip in some of his own to allow her to stay in her place.

Nobody was there to save me. Nobody ever will be.

It is as if I am still married to her, financially. And will be forever.

How and why is written that a man like me can be treated this way. Cheated on. Abused. Tossed out like garbage. And be made to support the very person who did this to me. As a matter of LAW???!

I can't get those six-figure jobs anymore. I'm too old, and in this economy, with no degree? I don't stand a chance in hell.

Nor do I want to work in that field anymore. I've had enough. I've done my time. I am looking (or was) to retirement and working something less stressful and for a lot less money.

My future looks bleak. There's no two ways around it.

Because of this divorce, and the punitive and grossly unfair laws, and the way I have been victimized, I can never be free of this.

I will pay and pay. Forever.

She gets to have a life. She gets most of her bills paid by me. It's on my dime.

And she can have a social life. A love life. Her own job even, and still I pay.

My life and my future have been destroyed by a 5'2" tall woman with a good lawyer.

Welcome to what it means to be a man divorced in the state of NJ.

Kiss your life goodbye.

29 comments:

  1. god be with u..karma will take care of her eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow is good to be back with my ex again, thank you Dr Ekpen for the help, I just want to let you know that is reading this post in case you are having issues with your lover and is leading to divorce and you don’t want the divorce, Dr Ekpen is the answer to your problem. Or you are already divorce and you still want him/her contact Dr Ekpen the spell caster now on (ekpentemple@gmail.com) or whatsapp him on +2347050270218 and you will be clad you did

      Delete
    2. This broke my heart … how some women can have no mercy on the men they once lived is a sin and a travesty ! I divorced my husband of 26 years but I didn’t do that to him I left him off of the obligations when I saw he was suffering I even helped him find another job … but all and all divorce destroyed both of us and affected our kids I would never have done it if I could see the future. God bless you I hope you can find some peace.

      Delete
  2. From UK. I read your post with tears for what you have experienced.This could not be more wrong, but there is such a thing as the Law of Karma, even it is a slow-acting mechanism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From UK. I read your post with tears for what you have experienced.This could not be more wrong, but there is such a thing as the Law of Karma, even it is a slow-acting mechanism.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post hit me very hard and made me question everything about unfair laws and the onesidedness of divorce. I am near the big 50 and was also divorced after a 5 and a 1/2 year marriage that began with a woman who I thought was my soul-mate. Boy, was I ever dead wrong. Anyway, your story sounds like mine could have gone if she didn't want out sooner and not stayed married longer. There was mental abuse with her and pressure to always give into her. She never wanted to work just pursue a Phd which she eventually achieved so she could become an Academia "superstar" professor. She just really didn't give a shit about me as long as I was the "human wallet" bringing in the six figures every year so she could spend to oblivion her way mostly. It never was fair especially coming from someone who struck as so independent and self-reliant who had her own househould before we married and budgeted her 40k a year well and owned a house. Once we were married and the income went up she was all about making her bigger than life fantasies come true. A selfish and conniving woman who used sex to reward or punish me for not doing what she wanted. So blessed to be free of her even though financing her dreams of multiple house moves, historic home with extensive remodels and bankrolling the eventual divorce settlement and all marital debt cost me well into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. I thank God to be rid of her. The only thing wonderful is that I met a fantastic woman I remarried and have a 3 year old son with so God did bless me again as he did with Job despite my folly. I hurt over the fact that I threw away so much money with my ex that could really help my family now since I no longer have a high income career which was a casualty of my prior marriage. My prayers extens to you that God in His mercy will make a way for you to not just survive but begin to thrive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post hit me very hard and made me question everything about unfair laws and the onesidedness of divorce. I am near the big 50 and was also divorced after a 5 and a 1/2 year marriage that began with a woman who I thought was my soul-mate. Boy, was I ever dead wrong. Anyway, your story sounds like mine could have gone if she didn't want out sooner and not stayed married longer. There was mental abuse with her and pressure to always give into her. She never wanted to work just pursue a Phd which she eventually achieved so she could become an Academia "superstar" professor. She just really didn't give a shit about me as long as I was the "human wallet" bringing in the six figures every year so she could spend to oblivion her way mostly. It never was fair especially coming from someone who struck as so independent and self-reliant who had her own househould before we married and budgeted her 40k a year well and owned a house. Once we were married and the income went up she was all about making her bigger than life fantasies come true. A selfish and conniving woman who used sex to reward or punish me for not doing what she wanted. So blessed to be free of her even though financing her dreams of multiple house moves, historic home with extensive remodels and bankrolling the eventual divorce settlement and all marital debt cost me well into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. I thank God to be rid of her. The only thing wonderful is that I met a fantastic woman I remarried and have a 3 year old son with so God did bless me again as he did with Job despite my folly. I hurt over the fact that I threw away so much money with my ex that could really help my family now since I no longer have a high income career which was a casualty of my prior marriage. My prayers extens to you that God in His mercy will make a way for you to not just survive but begin to thrive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is currently my life but instead of paying alimony I'm forced to pay child support to a woman who controls when I get to see my son outside of every other weekend, and even that's after exchanging letters between attorneys. She makes 200k a year and because she's outspent me with her high priced attorney, she's won repeatedly. I've been made out to be a villain because I want to see my son and I only have 10k in my IRA after paying legal bills for the past 4 years. There is no justice or fairness in divorce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God hates divorce.Unfortunately God is dead. He was hit by a hippie bus 1968 in Haight-Asbury
      on His way to a Grateful Dead show.....alas...Now, SATAN and his feminist harpie lawyer brigade are in charge....

      Delete
    2. Wow is good to be back with my ex again, thank you Dr Ekpen for the help, I just want to let you know that is reading this post in case you are having issues with your lover and is leading to divorce and you don’t want the divorce, Dr Ekpen is the answer to your problem. Or you are already divorce and you still want him/her contact Dr Ekpen the spell caster now on (ekpentemple@gmail.com) or whatsapp him on +2347050270218 and you will be clad you did

      Delete
  7. You could move to Paris renounce US citizenship and start over. It's a big world. South America. Somewhere with no extradition treaty. You are not a slave. Rise up. It's a big world. South Africa. Australia. New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. RE-INVENT YOURSELF SOMEWHERE ELSE. If you went to Australia you could just disappear....Life is short. You DO NOT have to stay in New Jersey and get beat down by the man. New Place. New Name. You are a FREE MAN, and not a criminal. You are FREE. There are 50 states. Canada. There's all sorts of Syrians running around Europe invited in by Angela Merkel....hmm..you look Syrian to me.....they don't have papers as refugees......google refugees in Germany....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your situation is no accident. This is a longterm jew plan for the destruction of the white race. Stop paying the bitch a dime, whatever it takes, by subterfuge, moving or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. FIRST OFF YOU You should appeal.. THAT IS UNFAIR

    ReplyDelete
  11. FIRST OFF YOU You should appeal.. THAT IS UNFAIR

    ReplyDelete
  12. You sound like a fucking simp to me. Man can you cry me a river...like you want some WHINE with that cheese? Jeezus. Pull your pants up, and do something. Like murder the bitch, stop crying and feeling helpless in your 1st world problems. People are starving to death, dying of intolerable painful diseases and you're being dominated by a 5'2" cunt. You suck and should no longer be male. Be a 52 yr old tranny like Caitlyn Jenner and whore yourself for a living.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You let your wife stay home while you went out and sat at the office for unreasonable hours which meant you never saw your family. The law existed when you got married. Stop crying and whining. She worked by taking care of your home as YOUR agreed to. Did you think that was free? I would never have agreed to that. Stop playing the blame game and blame yourself for working so much that she went to another man and for not making your wife work like everyone else. This is not 1950. Even part time would have been fine. You made your bed and now you want to cry in it. Whah whah whah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a disgrace to women. I was sick when I read the original story and feel like throwing up reading your comment. This is why men don’t trust women anymore, because women, as evidenced by your comment, USE men. If his ex wife had a shred of decency, she’d stop the alimony requirement all together. She’s the only one who can do the right thing because the courts don’t give a shit what happens to men. And I am a divorced woman myself.

      Delete
    2. Helen Smith what makes you so sure he overdid the office hours and neglected his wife?

      Delete
  14. I feel your pain. Had a similar experience. Still regretting I didn't handle it Philly style and have both her and her piece-of-shit BF whacked. But that would have been the end for me. Most women are born evil and it eventually plays out. Don't rely on karma, that's just a myth to make people feel there will be eventual justice. Better to leave NJ and join the peace corps and get out of USA for a few years. Seriously. SCB

    ReplyDelete
  15. Living it now with child support I feel your pain.without money you can't do shit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel your pain. Heading down a similar road, hopefully not as bad. I just wonder why there is no one that can do something about protecting us? If you are destitute can't you stop paying? Just get off the grid. A friend of mine said 'let go of your fictitious self' that bounds us through our driver's license. He rides bikes and does handy man work free as a lark. No license. I am a tenured professor. Hard idea for me to let go of my career. I'm losing about 70% of my pay as of now due to child support and alimony. Now I heard the new Trump tax deal doesn't let you write off alimony! What a freaking nightmare I'm living.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Xele needs his/her teeth knocked out. I'm now where you were when you wrote this, 4 years out. I'm worse than when I started. I see my boys rarely. She goes from man to man, but guys in our position are not exactly attractive.
    There is no law of Karma. There's heaven and hell, but on earth, there's no cosmic justice.
    Can you imagine the collective rage of the tens of thousands of men who have been treated this way? If it ever gets expressed, it will be a nightmare for them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow is good to be back with my ex again, thank you Dr Ekpen for the help, I just want to let you know that is reading this post in case you are having issues with your lover and is leading to divorce and you don’t want the divorce, Dr Ekpen is the answer to your problem. Or you are already divorce and you still want him/her contact Dr Ekpen the spell caster now on (ekpentemple@gmail.com) or whatsapp him on +2347050270218 and you will be clad you did

    ReplyDelete
  19. “The work of Dr Itua love spell  far exceeded my expectations. I’m not usually one for sharing feelings but I was able to open up here. I would definitely recommend it for someone whose marriage is in serious trouble. I can’t thank you enough for giving my marriage life. Dr Itua reside in west africa who brought my husband back after running away with another woman claiming he loves her more than me but after the love spell of Dr Itua he come back to me with a marriage proposal and today we are happily married also we have being living for 5 years now without no side effect, I thank Dr Itua for his love spell to save my marriage.
    I will recommend anyone seeking love spell to bring back his or her ex back, here is Dr Itua contact,, Email:  drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com /// Whats-App :  +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete