Forsters Tern Courtship Feeding

Forsters Tern Courtship Feeding
The male Forsters Tern offers a fish to his mate

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

What I could do with 750,000 dollars. And what someone else did with it.

A good friend of mine has an ex-husband who for lack of a better word, is a glutton. He consumes everything. He can never have enough. He makes a monstrous salary and commissions in the sales world, and he received a $750K inheritance less than a year ago from his mother, who passed away. I have it from my friend that he has spent nearly all of that money, in less than a year. On luxury. On dining out. On an insanely expensive boat that he maintains, and on God only knows what else.

What could I do, with $750K?

Let me tell you. All of the below will fit in $750K.

I could pay off my father's debts and allow him to keep this house for at least 2 more years. He wouldn't have to work, as he is trying to do now, at age 78.

I could buy and build a small house for myself on the lake property, and move there, once again having a place of my own. I'd also have enough to use for a bit of start up money to get my photography work really rolling and make a modest income.

I could send enough money to my friends, Laurene and Marc, and allow them to breathe easy for a couple years on their mortgage payments and medical bills, while they struggle to stay afloat with two autistic children.

I could pay off my son's education loan, and my daughter's college loans.

I could buy each of them (son and daughter) a reliable used car. And get my daughter driving lessons so that she would finally be able to not be afraid of driving, and get the mobility she needs.

I could even set them up with an apartment. Fully paid rent for a year.

I could pay off all my residual debts, and avoid Chapter 7 bankruptcy, which I am facing.

I could send my brother in California enough money to ease his burdens and make it possible for him to look for other venues (such as singing and recording, or acting, or some other profession where he has talent). For at least a year or two.

I could send money to my dear friend Pat in a little town outside of Pittsburgh. Enough so that she could breathe easy for a couple of years, and not have to kill herself in the job she is in. Maybe enough to pay for college courses, so she could have enough to pay her expenses and go to school for 2 years to get an associates degree, and then a good paying job afterward.

I could send a nice wad of cash to my ex-wife as a payment for alimony from me for at least 3 years worth, to get her off my back until I give her 40 percent of my pension (in 2013).

I would give a few thousand dollars to the Lighthouse Center (NREF NJ) to help offset the damage done to the buildings by vandals this past year, and a terrible Nor'Easter that hit.

I would send some money down to my brother Tom, to help out with paying for both of his daughters being in college and having to deal with all those expenses.

I would send a lifetime supply of Reuben sandwich lunches to Karyn and her SO, Jonathan, and her kids, so they could eat at the Goshen diner for the rest of their lives, on the house.

I would send a few grand over to Jeanette, just because she is a great friend and has suffered huge, losing her career as a policewoman due to injury (and discrimination). Maybe helping to offset some of the cost of raising all those kids and trying to make ends meet.

I would give my friend Jack enough money to not have to work the 50 hours a week at nights breaking down pallets at Shop Rite, so that he could spend more time with his cameras at the refuge doing what he loves, and taking care of his dying father at home. After his divorce, which destroyed his life and took his life savings and pension.

I'd send Joe enough money to finally afford that 200-400mm Nikon F4 lens. He could retire his Sigma, and really kick ass as the great photographer he is.

I would donate a nice chunk of change to Survivinginfidelity.com, as God knows how many people it helps, and how many lives they have saved.

All of this and more I could do with $750K.

Lives changed. Burdens eased. Maybe even a second chance for some wonderful, long suffering people.

And I would. If I had $750K.

But one man did have it. And he spent it on himself. And his own insatiable desire for more.

May he burn in hell.

For all that I alone could do with that money, if only.

No comments:

Post a Comment