Forsters Tern Courtship Feeding

Forsters Tern Courtship Feeding
The male Forsters Tern offers a fish to his mate

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Sleepless Nights, Endless Dreams...

A few days ago I was at the cabin and the lake. With my daughter.

One of those days, I took a ride on Peas Eddy Road. Barely a road, it goes through the mountains with sheer drop offs and a stream by the road. And exposed hillsides in spots where there are many flowers.

We used to call it "Butterfly Lane"

And I stopped at the place we all used to go.

11 years ago, my children, my wife an I went there. With butterfly nets and jars. We'd catch many butterflies, bring them back to the cabin and then let them go.

I pulled to the side.

Got out of my car.

A much older man now.

Armed with a big camera and lens, and a love of nature.

I stood in the same spot.

Alone.

I took photos of the butterflies.

And I saw in my memories my young children laughing and excited. My wife in the car and outside enjoying the scene.

And I put my camera to my side and stared.

4 Bald Eagles flew overhead, as if pall bearers to this funeral.

The death of my dreams.

And I cried a thousand tears. I could no longer lift the camera to my eyes.

Because in that moment I saw what was. And what would never be.

No comments:

Post a Comment